Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Words suck...

I received the following in an email this morning:

the change goes in affect tomorrow...We'll have to wait and see what comes first then

It did not look right to me so I checked the online dictionary for the meaning of affected and effected. For some reason I could not pick up the difference even with the help of the following:

Usage Note: Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most
commonly used in the sense of "to influence" (how smoking affects health). Effect means "to bring about or execute": layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about.


Bottom line, Is his usage of the word correct? Hopefully some grammatical wizard will stumble upon my blog to set me straight. I suppose while the wizard is here reading, I should ask him the proper usage of 'myself' too. It just never seems right at the end of a sentence, I just use 'me' But so many people use 'myself' in that context, It makes you wonder...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home